As you think about making changes to beautify and update our homes and/or yards, it's important to consider Lochmere's architectural guidelines, which likely involve a request to our Architecture Committee (AC). "Why can't I simply make the changes I want, rather than ask for permission from the AC?" you might ask...
As residents of an HOA, all Lochmere homeowner have agreed to abide by our community rules and regulations that have been set in place to maintain the quality aestetic and associated property values that come with owning a home in Lochmere. The AC plays a significant role in that regard in two major ways. First, the AC keeps our published rules and regulations regarding Lochmere's Architectural Standards and Specifications (our "LASS") up to date as times change. (Click on the previous "LASS" links to see the full text of the current version.) Second, the AC reviews all the architectural changes/requests that are made by individual Lochmere homeowners as they plan updates to their properties, and either approves or disapproves the requests, based on current LASS guidelines that benefit the integrity of the entire community.
The AC consists of three volunteer Lochmere residents, who work closely with Andy Siouville, our resident property manager from HRW, his assistant, and HRW systems used to track and monitor each homeowner architectural request as it moves through the process of submission and approval. For planning purposes, homeowners need to allow for 30 days after submitting their COMPLETE requests, before receiving a decision from the AC.
Over the course of the next several weeks, you'll see additional information highlighted here on the home page regarding Lochmere's architectural standards. But you can always get all the information you need by looking under the Committees/Architectural Committee tab on lochmere.org or by contacting HRW at (919) 233-7640.
But to get you started off on the right foot, and to avoid any unwanted delays and or issues with your neighbors and our HOA, here is a list of the more common changes that require Lochmere architectural approval before any changes are undertaken. Please remember to review the LASS and pay particular attention to the Mandatory Details Section BEFORE submitting your request. If in any doubt, please feel free to contact the Lochmere Office.
- Changes to the Exterior of the home, such as but not limited to:
- Decks, deck skirting or screening, patios, and porches
- Driveway extensions and parking pads
- Hedges and screen plantings
- Extensive Landscaping (typically >$1000)
- Poles (free-standing, e.g. basketball goals)
- Recreation or sports equipment
- Semi-permanent play facilities
- Structures including tree houses and / or play houses, play sets
- Swimming pools and hot tubs
- Tree removal (live) or tree additions
- Additional rooms
- Changes to appearance such as but not limited to:
- Color; including siding, trim and / or doors
- Materials (such as siding or roofing)