Grab a rake and participate in the Town of Cary’s free Loose Leaf Collection program. Starting November 13 and lasting through January 27, Town crews will visit each street in town once per month to collect loose leaves piled at the curb.
Leaves must be curbside by 7 a.m. on the first day of collection of your area, and out of the roadway, off of sidewalks, and away from storm drains, fire hydrants and mailboxes. Collected leaves will be mulched and returned to community parks and greenways.
Please refrain from blowing or raking leaves on to Lochmere traffic islands. The Town of Cary will not remove leaves from these islands. Leaves should be put on your property and not directly in the street.
The schedule for Lochmere pick up is as follows:
- First Collection -- November 13 to November 18
- Second Collection -- December 7 to December 13
- Third Collection -- January 22 to January 27
As you prepare your leaves for pick-up, the Town of Cary has provided the following tips to ensure your leaves are collected and to help keep our streets and crews safe during the program:
- Keep leaves along the curb and out of the roadway.
- Avoid placing leaves on sidewalks, meter boxes, sewer clean outs and storm drains.
- Place leaves away from fire hydrants and mail boxes.
- Keep trash, large stones, and other debris out of leaf piles.
- Park vehicles a safe distance from your leaves so they are accessible for pick up.
Place loose leaves curbside by 7 a.m. on the first scheduled day of collection for your area. The Town of Cary trucks will come by your street once during each collection period, and it could be at the start or end of that time frame.
You may see the Town of Cary trucks on your street early as they prepare for theie routes. Don't worry, they will return as scheduled to collect your leaves.
Citizens can request an additional loose leaf collection at their address from November to January for $100; call (919) 469-4090 to schedule. At any time during the year, leaves in reusable containers or paper bags can be placed curbside for regular yard waste collection or taken to the Citizen’s Convenience Center, 313 N. Dixon Avenue, at no charge.
For more, including the collection map and schedule, search HERE (just type in your address in the Search box) or call (919) 469-4090.