leaves and rake


Grab a rake and participate in the Town of Cary’s free Loose Leaf Collection program. Starting November 12 and lasting through January 26, Town crews will visit each street in Lochmere once per month to collect loose leaves piled at the curb.

Leaves must be curbside by 7 a.m. on the first day of collection in Lochmere. Collected leaves will be mulched and returned to community parks and greenways.

Please refrain from blowing or raking leaves on to Lochmere traffic islands.  The Town of Cary will not remove leaves from these islands.  Leaves should be put on your property and not directly in the street.

The schedule for Lochmere pick up is as follows:

  • First Collection -- November 12 to November 20
  • Second Collection -- December 9 to December 17
  • Third Collection -- January 21 to January 24

As you prepare your leaves for pick-up, the Town of Cary has provided the following tips to ensure your leaves are collected and to help keep our streets and crews safe during the program:

  • Keep leaves along the curb and out of the roadway.
  • Avoid placing leaves on sidewalks, meter boxes, sewer clean outs and storm drains.
  • Place leaves away from fire hydrants and mail boxes.
  • Keep trash, large stones, and other debris out of leaf piles.
  • Park vehicles a safe distance from your leaves so they are accessible for pick up.
  • Place loose leaves curbside by 7 a.m. on the first scheduled day of collection for your area.

  • The Town of Cary trucks will come by your street once during each collection period, and it could be at the start or end of that time frame.

You may see the Town of Cary trucks on your street early as they prepare for theirroutes.  Don't worry, they will return as scheduled to collect your leaves.

At any time during the year, leaves in reusable containers or paper bags can be placed curbside for regular yard waste collection or taken to the Citizen’s Convenience Center, 313 N. Dixon Avenue, at no charge.

For more, including the collection map and schedule, search HERE (just type in your address in the Search box) or call 311.